Monday, March 4, 2013

Church Hopping for our Baptismal and Confirmation Docs

I forgot to post this! Last February 3, the fiance and I had a church-hopping day to get our baptismal and confirmation documents.

To be able to have a church wedding, it is now a requirement to get new copies of baptismal and confirmation docs, specifically labeled "for marriage purposes". This meant that Aleq and I had to go back to the four churches where our baptisms and confirmations were held, and man was it such a hassle. For one, we didn't grow up anywhere near each other so we had to go all over the metro to get our docs. We also haven't been to those churches in years so we had to figure out how to get there and got a little lost along the way. We got Aleq's confirmation doc first at Angelicum the week before though, so at least we only had to visit three other churches that day.

It turned out to be quite the adventure. Our first stop was the San Isidro Labrador Parish in Taft. We got there during lunch break though, so the parish office was closed and we had to quickly figure out where to while away the time. [Obviously the lesson here is to be mindful of lunch breaks when you get your docs! Also, churches are usually closed on Mondays.] We decided to make the short drive to Vito Cruz and have lunch at McDonald's Taft. That's where the reminiscing began. I used to go there all the time back in grade school and high school with my parents and classmates after school at nearby St. Scho. I never thought I would one day be sitting there with my husband-to-be. It was sweet that we got to spend time there, and pay a quick visit to the University Mall next to it too.

Quarter Pounder, French fries, Coke, and a Banana-Toffee McFlurry!

Had to take a pic of course.

That day's Twitpic - McD's Taft.


After waiting it out, we went back to the church and got my baptismal certificate! We then went inside the church to pray a bit and I had such a flashback to my childhood. That church was where my parents and I used to go to hear mass when we were still living in Pasay. I really missed my mom there and wished she was with me that day. I know she was in spirit. Despite the sadness, I'm glad I got to visit that place again. The last time I was there I was probably still in fifth grade.

It was the same floor! It was weird to see my shoes next to Aleq's against those old, old, old tiles.


So many memories in here.

Me at San Isidro

My baptismal certificate

The second stop of the day was the Our Lady of La Paz Church in La Paz Village, Makati. I was confirmed there because my mom used to be a teacher at the school near there. It was actually a scary experience getting there! The surrounding area has sadly deteriorated so much! There were squatters everywhere and Aleq even said the place was such a mess it was like the apocalypse happened and zombies were just going to come out of nowhere attack our car. We also got lost because the roads changed - what used to be dead ends now had roads going to who knows where. It was so weird. La Paz Village and the church, thankfully, was still the same as the last time I saw it when I was in high school. It's still quiet and peaceful. I didn't get my confirmation doc that day though - the parish priest wasn't there to sign it. Luckily, one of our ninangs - one of my mom's best friends - still works at school so she got it for us a few days after. Thank you Tita Ofel!

Still the same after all these years.

I really like this church - it has an unusual look.

Our last church was the Ermita Church. Aleq's family used to live in Ermita so it's where he was baptized. He doesn't remember the church at all! I guess the only time he was there was during his baptism as a baby. He thought it was very cool that he finally got to see it.

Ermita Church. Aleq's mom says it looks different now.

First time here.

Aleq's baptismal certificate


Whew! We were so glad when it was all over and we had all our docs! We were also so thankful that we didn't encounter any hitches. Some of our friends who got married actually had trouble getting their docs - they lost their original documents and the church also lost their records so they had to get confirmed again, or they were never confirmed in the first place, etc. - so we were worried it might happen to us. We celebrated by going to Podium after and chilling out at Cafe Mary Grace with a cool Mango Bene because it was so hot that day. 

Hot in Manila!

Mmm Mango Bene

Aleq's usual cappuccino

"Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." That's my usual Mexicana hot chocolate with chili.

Love Cafe Mary Grace's mason jars.
   



No comments:

Post a Comment