Thursday, March 7, 2013

First Wedding Gown Fitting + Invitation Maker - Check!

It's a life-changing event when you first try on your wedding gown. I've been pretty busy with wedding preparations that I haven't started feeling excited at all, and I'm still not in that frame of mind that I should be in already. When I saw my wedding gown for the first time last February 23 though, I felt a thrill go through me. I was really getting married!

When my gown designer Edwin Uy's apprentice, Jeon, called to schedule my first fitting, I felt really apprehensive. I didn't know what the dress would look like! I had the sketch of the gown but I didn't know how it would translate in real life, and, more importantly, how it would look on me. I've been working my butt off at the gym, but since I've only been working with a trainer for two weeks, I didn't expect much. I was thinking they would have to make adjustments to fit my body type because I'm not in the best shape and it would look awful on me.

Since superstition dictates that a bride should never wear her gown before the wedding, I only tried on the lining. That's how designers work around the myth now - I will never try on the finished gown, but I'll be trying on the lining several times to ensure that I can wear the dress on my wedding day, heh. Superstition also says that the groom should never see the bride wearing the dress, so the fiance had to sit in the showroom receiving area, and Jeon put a screen in front of the curtained dressing room for good measure. Aleq and I figured superstitions may or may not be true, but there's no harm in following them, just in case.

So I anxiously put on the dress, and then the magic happened. I just simply felt completely happy during that moment when I first saw myself in the mirror. "This is it, Julls!" My mind just zoned in on that immediately. Then I started smiling. Edwin and Jeon didn't let me down! The dress, in its very incomplete state, already looked utterly perfect. It was actually flattering, and I just couldn't believe it. Plus, I never thought I would do a princess dress for my wedding, but Jeon convinced me otherwise because he said it was the cut that suited my body type and that I'm the bride, I should pull out all the stops. What do you know, it did turn out pretty fabulous. The seamstresses came over to help me put it on and zip up and such, and I actually felt like one of those girls in My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding, haha. The gown was enormous, and the petticoat had to be put on separately. Jeon came over to look me over with his super critical eye, and then he showed me the detachable train, and I thought, wow, that is an awful lot of fabric! The best part was that the dress didn't fit! They have to take two inches off of it and the grandmotherly seamstresses said that I must be losing weight. Isn't that the best thing ever? Haha! Jeon told me not to worry if I lose more weight - it's easier to take out fabric than to put more in, heh. Sadly, the fiance told me to refrain from taking pics. He said we shouldn't risk having him see the dress accidentally, and he's right. I want that moment at the church when the doors open and I'm walking down the aisle to be as magical as it can be.

All I have is a giddy pic of me in the car after we left the showroom to forever remind me of the moment.

After that exciting morning, Aleq and I proceeded to Sonsi in Madison to have lunch and to wait for our next appointment. I told him everything about the dress and he was really happy about it too. 

Happy, blurry us

His lechon kawali

My favorite Alaminos longganisa

Then it was time for our first meeting with our invitation maker, Wink (Written in Ink) at the Wedding Lounge, which is just one hop from Madison. We met with Cindy, who walked us through it all. We discussed everything, from the main pages to the add-ons and sticker seal. Like everything else wedding-related, the invitation required a lot of attention to detail! Luckily, Cindy was a joy to work with, and we wrapped things up really quickly. We'll be doing several drafts after this first meeting. Aleq and I can't wait to see the finished invites. 

Some sneaky camwhoring at the Wedding Lounge while going through sample invites

Stuff we liked

Samples in our theme colors

All errands done, we went to the mall to chill and look around for wedding stuff we still needed to buy. The day ended with merienda at Cafe Mary Grace Podium and dinner at Komoro Soba in Megamall. We were really happy we had that bit of time to just walk aimlessly at the mall. We never get to do that these days. 





No comments:

Post a Comment