Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bride's Wedding Shoes by Vivienne Westwood + Melissa c/o Geleia [Happy Details]

Now that we have finally posted about our happy day, it's time to talk about the details. If you've been following this blog since we got engaged, you probably noticed that though we had a ton of stories to tell, we didn't really post about the specifics. That's because we chose to keep it all to ourselves so our wedding could still have the element of surprise. Well, we can talk about everything now, yay! p.s. Please read our note about suppliers.

My wedding shoes caused so much excitement during our preparations. They were almost impossible to find, and I was close to giving up on them. I'm glad I didn't, and I was able to wear my dream wedding shoes on that happy day. Here's the long story behind the shoes: My Wedding Shoes.   


At the time, I kept the shoes a secret. I only posted a picture of the box here. I did tell a few of my friends about them when I was still on the hunt because I needed help finding them, but that was it. These shoes were so special to me that I wanted them to show up on that happy day and not before. 


The shoes are Vivienne Westwood + Melissa Lady Dragon Heart in Dove Grey and Blue. I got them at Geleia. Like all Melissa shoes, they're an updated version of the jelly shoes, and are made of a really fragrant kind of rubber/plastic. They're part of a collaboration between the Brazilian shoe brand and the British designer.


When I told people about the shoes I got some interesting reactions. "Plastic? Really?" "You sure about that?" "They're cute but they're plastic." Well brides-to-be, as I always say, remember that it's your day, and what you want goes. As long as it makes you happy, go for it!

The shoes were just perfect for me. I don't like anything frilly, so the fact that they were plastic/rubber drew them to me. The blue hearts were so me -- they tied in really well with my wedding perfume, the petticoat of my dress, and our color motif. The design is also obviously modern and a little offbeat, which I loved.


This reminds me of a funny story from our wedding that our friend (and Wedding Fairy) Clang told us. She said she stepped out of the church to use the powder room before the ceremony started and she chanced upon me standing in front of the church, preparing to walk down the aisle. She said there were two nuns who were walking by and stopped to watch me. She heard them whispering to each other. One said, "Look at her dress." The other said "Look at her shoes!" The first one then excitedly said, "Let's watch!"

By the way, these shoes are super comfy! They have cushioning, the heels aren't that tall, and the smart design keeps feet from hurting (the back kind of extends a bit so your feet don't feel trapped). It was a joy wearing them the entire day.


Now, almost a year later, I still adore these shoes so much. They're one of my favorite things in the world. I scrounged up the photos I took of them the night I finally got them (I did an unboxing and everything), so I'm ending this by posting the pics here, with extreme shoe love. <3










 

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your post while trying to find these exact shoes for my wedding next year! Do you have a link to where you bought them from by any chance?

    I'm a little heart broken to see that they might not be sold anymore.

    Your wedding looks completely stunning, I adore your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for dropping by!

      I bought the shoes at a local store here called Geleia (https://www.facebook.com/GeleiaPhilippines). I'm not sure if Melissa still sells them, but you might be able to find them on Ebay or outlet stores that sell out-of-season stuff. I hope you find them! They're completely adorable.

      You should also check out the newer Melissa styles. There are some out right now that will look fab for a wedding. :)

      Delete