Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gown Designer - Check!

Our wedding preparations have been up and down. We've been far too busy to do wedding stuff, so what happens is that we'll do a lot one month and then fail to do anything the next. This has to stop! Thankfully, we're getting some important things done in November. One of them is being able to book my gown designer, Edwin Uy.

What these fabric swatches are for, I'm not telling!

I really didn't have many choices when it came to my gown designer. I'm kind of quirky when it comes to my dress preferences. I want an amazing bridal gown, but I don't want beads, crystals, florals, ruffles, lace, and other girly things on it. I realized that I needed someone who would be up to the challenge of making a breathtaking dress without the frills. I also wanted someone a friend can recommend, or someone whose design I've seen in person. Of all the weddings I've been to, I liked my high school friend Anabel's gown the best. I thought it was really well-made and beautiful, but minimalist as well, which was the main reason it drew my interest. I asked her who made her gown, and she told me it was by Edwin Uy. She also generously gave me the other details like the price range and such. We found out that the designer's home base was near our neighborhood too, so we figured, it was the right choice.

The fiance and I paid Edwin Uy's shop in Mandaluyong a visit last Saturday. The designer was out of town, in Zamboanga, so we had the initial meetup with what we assumed was his apprentice, Jeon. It was great. Jeon was very accommodating but he also gave us his opinion without being pushy, while keeping my preferences and body type in mind. He drew me up an initial sketch just to illustrate some ideas, and then showed me fabric swatches. After the initial meetup, which was basically just an introductory thing, Jeon and Edwin will collaborate to come up with three designs for me. I'll then have to choose which one I want, and then the creation of the dress will begin. I really liked that I had the option to choose among three dress designs. We also found out that they made groom suits as well. The fiance is considering them, because they offer really good suit packages. If he really does decide to book them, it would be very convenient for us to be able to just go to one designer for everything.

The initial sketch just to hash ideas out, plus white fabric swatches, and the designer's card

The fiance and I felt good about it all. I was actually so kilig the entire time! It was a thrill to be finally discussing my wedding gown. Plus, it just felt right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment